Start time: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 9:00 AM
End time: Thursday, June 21, 2018, 12:00 PM
Room: SUN 3-4
Recommended Participants: Dentists, Assistants, Hygienists, Dental Student
CE Hours: 3.00
Track: SPECIAL INTEREST
Nordent Manufacturing Inc.
Speaker: Ms. Nancy Dewhirst, RDH, BS
About the speaker: Bachelor's degree, University of Southern California; nationally recognized speaker, author and consultant; adjunct dental hygiene professor, West Coast University.Disclosure: I or members of my immediate family have a financial relationship with Kerr/Totalcare that may be relevant to this presentation.
|REGISTRATION CATEGORY||EARLY 4/6||REGULAR||ONSITE 6/9|
|DENTIST - FDA/ADA MEMBER||$65||$75||$85|
Based on science, but grounded in clinical reality, this course reviews and updates OSHA-required training topics for ordinary and extraordinary situations, including general safety issues such as physical and chemical risks, infectious disease transmission and control, hazard communication and waste. Attendees will learn ways to improve the effectiveness of standard precautions, while adjusting for higher risks such as aerosol transmitted diseases (ATDs). Handouts will include useful checklists and patient screening forms and transmission-based precautions for infectious individuals. A lively mix of activities, demonstrations, stories, prizes and products will keep this course engaging and “real.”
Participants will be able to:
- review required training topics and identify the need to update or change their OSHA injury and illness prevention program.
- review important disease risks, prevention and post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP).
- analyze standard precautions and their limitations, including respiratory hygiene/couch etiquette and safe injections.
- discuss challenges of sharps and waste management.
- maximize instrument reprocessing efforts.